Michael De Santa
|Michael De Santa|
|Full Name||Michael De Santa|
|Home||Rockford Hills, Los Santos|
|Relatives|| Amanda (Wife)|
|Affiliations|| Trevor Phillips|
|Height||6' 2" (1.88 m)|
|Weight||210 lbs (95 kg)|
Michael was born in 1968 in the Midwest. His reasons and events leading up to his career path are also unknown at present. During his tenure as a very successful robber, he met war veteran and ex-pilot Trevor Phillips. Upon discovering they both share an interest in the art of thievery, they pull of many successful heists. After the two split following a disagreement, Michael met his wife Amanda and went on to have two children; Jimmy and Tracey.
In 2004, before the events of Grand Theft Auto V, Michael made a deal with the FIB which made him a wealthy man, with enough money to live in an expansive mansion, own several sports cars, and have enough private land for his own golf course and tennis court.
Michael is renowned as a man of extreme cunning, thinking motions through carefully and precisely being sure to keep his true motivations a secret. Equally well known are various other traits, such as his composure, inflated ego, inability to control his temper, ease in making moral sacrifices, and his hypocrisy. He also seems to want a life of two halves; on one side wanting to remain a family man and try to piece together what remains of his marriage and family, and on the other wanting to return to his old way of life. His past has affected Michael's new home life, with his perversion for chaos and his temperament, it has caused him to alienate himself from the rest of his family.
 Skills and Abilities
The only known ability, which he shares with the two other protagonists of the game Franklin and Trevor is the ability to slow down time while shooting. This ability is called "Bullet Time" and is purely from a gameplay perspective.
- Headshot: 7.5% bonus
- Health drops below 25%: 20% bonus
- Maintaining high speeds in vehicles: slight bonus
- Stealth kill or KO: 10% bonus
- Amanda: Before the events of Grand Theft Auto V the two met at an undetermined time in Michael's life, later fell in love and went on to get married and have two children; Jimmy and Tracey. However at the start of the game, the two seem unable to co-inhabit and are unable to tolerate one another. This rift in their relationship has come about to the abuse that Amanda has exhibited toward her from Michael over the years. The two have become so detestable to one another that Amanda begins cheating on Michael with a younger man. It is said that Amanda fell in love with Michael because they were bound together in their past lives.
- Trevor: Trevor and Michael used to be business partners before the events in Grand Theft Auto V. At some point they fell out (speculatively due to Michael's deal struck with the FIB) and fell out of contact. After the brief time they were out of contact they rejoined forces but with an even more unstable relationship. When the two characters interact, they often argue with one another.
- Franklin: Frankie and Michael have a father-son type relationship after meeting during the events of Grand Theft Auto V, with Franklin hailing him as a father figure. Franklin is able to allow Michael in his pursuits to continue with his old way of life despite having a family, thus holding affection toward him.
- Jimmy: Michael's relationship with his son, Jimmy, is rocky at best. The two are often fighting and both reflect the worst of their imperfections in each other. Although Michael does try to remedy things with his son by spending time with him, however this yields little change in either character.
- Tracey: Tracey and Micheal famously don't get along with one another, and rarely exchange conversion with one another.
Michael was the first protagonist they designed when development started on Grand Theft Auto V.
Michael was welcomed warmly by fans of the series as he was the first protagonist in the Grand Theft Auto series to have a family. He also draws similarities to previous GTA protagonists such as Tommy Vercetti and Carl Johnson, giving an air of familiarity to his character.
Dan Houser gave a detailed description of who Michael is to him:
“Michael, to me, is... Who is he? I know who he is, I'm just trying to... He's the person who is trying to ignore some rather large mistakes that they have made. The person who's trying to forget about certain practical but still selfish decisions that they took. He's a man, also, obsessed by images and by appearances and who, when the world doesn't live up to those images and appearances, doesn't know what to do. He just retreats into his head. What he also is, when we started out... What he kind of evolved into as we began thinking about him and developing him... He was the first character we came up with. He began as the idea of, what happens to a regular GTA protagonist after they retire? Then you think, what would make him retire? He's a man with a big ego and plenty of good values and plenty of bad values.""A guy who's in his mid-40s and on the cusp of middle age who doesn't know what to do, but made a bunch of money and does not know what to do with it. He's theoretically won, but the spoils of victory aren't necessarily what he imagined. For us that's a very interesting character, unlike what we've done in the past or what we've seen in much entertainment in general, let alone any video games. That was interesting. ”
Related ThreadsMichael De Santa's Dilemma - last post by @ Jan 21, 2014
Michael De Santa = Robert De Niro? - last post by @ Sep 19, 2013
GTA 5: Michael De Santa's Nightmare - last post @ Jun 1, 2014
This page has been accessed 22,603 times.